Urban Sketching Haiku
By Barbara Weeks
We often talk of about the many values in keeping a sketchbook. There are many, but what about the sheer fun of keeping a sketchbook? There’s a lot to gain from that, too!
Many of us Urban Sketchers carry a small sketchbook with us wherever we go. We capture fleeting moments of our days – waiting in line, catching a quick cup of coffee, on the train or bus. We draw our connection with the world around us.There is a need to be fast and concise! Yes, but not perfect.
1. Think Small - It can no bigger than the size of a credit card or smaller.
Think simple shapes and values.
3. Focus - what catches your attention?
These sketches were done while waiting for my granddaughter at the allergist. I love to people watch!
What are the benefits of speed sketching?
- Improved drawing skills
- Increased spontaneity and freshness in your sketches
- Rapid planning of ideas for larger sketches or future paintings
- Great for fast travel sketching especially when traveling with non-sketchers.
- They’re fun
Poetry of speed sketching –Capturing quick moments of the day and recording a response to them.
I call them Tone Poems.