Braving the Cold
Tips for Urban Sketching in Winter
It's tempting not to venture outdoors to sketch in the dead of winter. Be smart but don't give in!
- Wear lots of layers. You can adjust what to keep on and off.
- Invest in fingerless gloves or mittens with fingers folders.
- Bring an insulated mug with a hot beverage
- Handwarmer pouches are great too
- Pack only the essentials
- Keep it simple!
- Think process not product.Enjoy the sketching don't aim for a masterpiece.
- What says "cold" to you? Sketch that!
- Add a note of the weather conditions, temperature, etc.
Get to Work
- Again keep it simple (I know, I say that a lot!)
- Pack only essential sketching equipment, e.g. a pencil, water brush, simple watercolor palette
Odds and Ends
- If you're using watercolor, a little vodka or alcohol in the water/waterbrush will keep your paint from freezing.
- Sketch from your car
- Sketch what you see outside your window at home.
Post Your Sketches!
When you post your sketches let us know what tips you used or can add to the list!
Want to keep up to date by email? Fill in your email address in the place provided in the upper right corner under the banner. We look forward to hearing from you.