Ready, Set, Show!
Exciting news! USK Chicago has announced a members only art show! It will be held at the Palette and Chisel in Chicago.The opening reception is Friday, June 8. Keep reading for all the details!
The USk Chicago show submission site is open for business! Please use this link: https://form.jotform.com/221209188520148 . You will be asked to enter your contact info; agree to the show requirements and the liability disclaimer; and upload your images. The requirements also appear below -- along with important dates and a heads up about volunteers (for help hanging, the hoped-for opening reception, and gallery sitting). Please pay particular attention to the limits on the number and size of your framed sketches and how to label your uploaded files. (We'll post separately with ideas for scanning and framing.) We just need to screen your images to make sure they follow our Manifesto, so please upload low-res files (a small or medium iPhone photo works great). Let's see those masterpieces!
Urban Sketchers Manifesto: We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live, and where we travel.
Our drawings are a record of time and place.
We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
We support each other and draw together.
We share our drawings online.
We show the world, one drawing at a time.
- Membership : The exhibition is open to any member of the Chicago chapter of the Urban Sketchers, 18 years and older.
- Number of Submissions and Framing : All work must be framed under glass or plexiglass. The Palette allows only a simple nail – so a cordless piece would have to something centered to hang. If your work is in a sketchbook, you may submit a framed reproduction of your sketch. We will post suggested resources for scanning and framing on our Facebook page.
- You may submit up to 3 pieces if no larger than 11” x 14” framed, and up to two if any piece is larger. However, no piece may be larger than 16” x 20” framed.
- Sales : Your work may be offered for sale (at the submitted price) or not for sale (NFS). All checks should be payable to the Palette & Chisel, and all proceeds from sales must be submitted to its office. 20% of all sales go to the Palette & Chisel , and 80% to the artist. You can reach the Palette office by phone at 312-642-4400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Submission of Sketches : Below, for each sketch, set out the title of your work; the medium/media; the framed dimensions in inches (H” x W”); and the sale price or NFS. List your work in your order of preference – if we are overwhelmed with submissions, we will organize the show in rounds. For each sketch, upload a JPEG file (no larger than 1M) labeled as: LastName_FirstInitial-Title.
Calls for Volunteers: We ask participants and other USk Chicago members to assist in show-related activities – hanging, an opening reception (public health permitting), and gallery-sitting on the second weekend (the first weekend is covered by the Seminar). We’ll post info on our Urban Sketchers Chicago Facebook page.
- Deadline for submission: 11:59 p.m., Sunday, June 12
- Notification of acceptances: around Thursday, June 16
- Delivery of work to the Palette: Tuesday-Wednesday, July 5-6
- Note: Hand delivery and pickup only; we are not set up to take care of shipping.
- Show hanging : Thursday, July 7
- Opening reception (Covid permitting): Friday, July 8, from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- Show closing : Sunday, July 17 (pickup also available Monday, July 18)
Liability Disclaimer : Reasonable precaution will be taken to safeguard the artists' work. However, neither the Urban Sketchers Chicago nor the Palette & Chisel , and their officers, volunteers, and assigns, will be responsible for loss or damage to work from any cause.